Mo shares his insights from the habits of L. David Marquet. We, as humans, are typically either thinking or we’re acting and we tend to bias toward action. For business development, this means it can be very easy to just do the next thing and do it...
Mo shares his insights from the habits of L. David Marquet.
- We, as humans, are typically either thinking or we’re acting and we tend to bias toward action. For business development, this means it can be very easy to just do the next thing and do it right away. Sometimes that focus on action is not the right thing to do.
- Occasionally, we need to step back and think about the next right move, but that can also include our colleagues and even the client or prospect. Ask the client/prospect what kind of followup they want to see from you.
- Build default thinking time in with yourself, your team, and your clients, and then act. Put time in your calendar once a week for your thinking time and commit to it.
- It’s important to not think about completion as just being a deal getting closed. A complete phase in business development can be the Give To Get, then each next step after that. Each step is an opportunity to step back and meet with the team about what worked well and what should change.
- When you celebrate the small, incremental steps, you will do more of them.
- Business development is challenging. We all almost always default back to delivery so we need to create mechanisms to celebrate every completion we do.
- Business development is a journey. Ask open-ended questions and use each moment to learn and get better.
- If you put 100 hours into improving your technical skills, your clients probably won’t notice. If you put 100 hours into your business development skills, not only do you improve your book of business and networking ability, you also pull through your expertise. Make it a priority and all kinds of good things will happen along the way.
Mentioned in this Episode:
Enroll in The Nudge at https://intentbasedleadership.com/enroll-for-the-nudge/
View David’s YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/LeadershipNudges