Mo asks Josh Kaufman: What big idea do you have to help business developers be more successful? Regardless of what industry or market you are in, understanding business at a fundamental level is a significant advantage. It will help you deliver more...
Mo asks Josh Kaufman: What big idea do you have to help business developers be more successful?
- Regardless of what industry or market you are in, understanding business at a fundamental level is a significant advantage. It will help you deliver more effectively as well as the business development.
- Having an accurate understanding of what businesses are and how they work will help you do your job better and serve your customers better as well.
- Organizations are good at teaching a deep understanding of a specific specialty, but they are not necessarily good at teaching the general business language and communicating that to a client.
- Most employees know their job very well, but they don’t know how they or their boss fits into the bigger picture of the organization. Having a comprehensive understanding of the entire business system is where you get to the strategic and practical insight that can really make a difference.
- The decision-maker in an organization has to think of all five parts of the business, the value creation side, the marketing, the sales, the delivery, and the financial side when deciding what actions to take. Expanding beyond a narrow view of the business helps you understand your client and sell your services, but it also helps operate within your own organization.
- Thinking into the future and anticipating issues before they arise will make you a better business person and make you more valuable to your organization.
- As we communicate with clients we should do so with their priorities in mind and in their words. All aspects of business development get meaningfully better if you can talk the language of business.
- Business development is about trust. Everything you can do to convey that you understand a client at a fundamental level, the more they are going to trust you, the more effectively you are going to be able to work with them, and the more effectively you will be able to close business.
Mentioned in this Episode: