Mo asks Josh Kaufman: How can the ideas of The Personal MBA help people manage their opportunities? Begin with a thought experiment. “What would it look like if…?” Counterfactual questions can be extremely useful for understanding what is true...
Mo asks Josh Kaufman: How can the ideas of The Personal MBA help people manage their opportunities?
- Begin with a thought experiment. “What would it look like if…?” Counterfactual questions can be extremely useful for understanding what is true in the given moment, and what could be a way of making things better in the future.
- Business development is all about the future. Asking this sort of question takes you out of the present situation and gives you clarity on what’s possible.
- All of the most valuable questions in business start with that question. These questions allow you to supply your brain with a destination which is how you start formulating a plan to get there.
- This is a powerful tool to get unstuck and figure out what your next action should be regarding an opportunity. Most of the breakthroughs in Josh’s career have come from posing this thought experiment.
- As you are planning out the next quarter and figuring out how to reach your financial or personal goals, the way you get your brain in gear to solve the problem is by asking yourself a counterfactual question.
- Starting from the question allows you to avoid being mired in self-criticism and doubt. You will come up with ideas that you wouldn’t have thought of otherwise because you weren’t framing the problem in that particular way.
Mentioned in this Episode: