Mo asks Dr. Ivan Misner: How do we grow our book of business? There is a networking disconnect, where everybody goes to networking events wanting to sell but nobody is there to buy. Networking is all about relationships, it’s more like farming than...
Mo asks Dr. Ivan Misner: How do we grow our book of business?
- There is a networking disconnect, where everybody goes to networking events wanting to sell but nobody is there to buy. Networking is all about relationships, it’s more like farming than hunting.
- Avoid selling the first time you meet someone. Plant the seed of the relationship first and then cultivate it over time.
- Ivan recommends the 24/7/30 follow-up system. Within 24 hours of meeting someone, send them a note and let them know that you enjoyed getting to know them. Within 7 days find them on social media and make a meaningful connection with them. Go where they are, not where you want to be. Within 30 days reach out to them and ask to have a conversation about what they do. The whole time you avoid selling to them and focus instead on just building the relationship.
- Start with the other person in mind and get to know them as a human being. It’s not what you know or who you know, it’s how well you know each other that counts.
- The important thing is not about who is in your database, it’s who is willing to help you if you asked.
- If you follow up in a meaningful way with the goal of building a real relationship, it’s not going to feel formulaic or contrived. Helping and authenticity are key.
- Infinite giving does not mean that you’re an infinite victim. Giving can take all kinds of forms and there are a number of ways your giving will come back to you.
Mentioned in this Episode: