Mo asks Josh Kaufman: How can someone hack their own habits and accomplish more when it comes to business development? Most of us imagine a world in the undefined future where all our tasks are completed and there’s nothing left to do. Fortunately...
Mo asks Josh Kaufman: How can someone hack their own habits and accomplish more when it comes to business development?
- Most of us imagine a world in the undefined future where all our tasks are completed and there’s nothing left to do. Fortunately for us, that’s not the way the world works.
- We live in a finite world of tradeoffs with limited energy and attention. As a consequence of that, we have limited opportunities to get things done.
- We can make ourselves miserable by not realizing that we live in a world of tradeoffs. We must make choices between competing alternatives.
- You must be clear on your personal values and priorities to know what choices to pursue. They become the lens that helps you decide which opportunities will make the biggest difference in your life long term.
- You don’t want to spend all your time and energy climbing a ladder, to only discover at the top that it was leaning against the wrong wall.
- Being clear about what you want helps eliminate some of the existential pressure. You’re only responsible for figuring out what you should be doing to get to the end result you desire is instead of doing everything all at once.
- No is a complete sentence. It’s okay to pass on certain opportunities.
- There is a certain amount of status consciousness that doesn’t serve us when it comes to opportunity, but we have to keep our values in mind and use them to choose our direction.
- Most people try to avoid making a decision until absolutely forced to. When presented with multiple opportunities, most people will say they are all important. We don’t need to feel bad about the opportunities we are passing on, because that’s a necessary part of the process. It’s what allows us to enjoy the benefits of the things we value the most, and the more we can do that the more effective and happy we’ll be.
- We all have an unlimited opportunity, and we all have limited time, so creating a mechanism that allows you to embrace that is crucial.
- Business developers need to be proactive and make things happen, and that means making the right choices.
Mentioned in this Episode: